Thursday, January 20, 2011

A Sandwich

So today I was hanging out with my friend and we were talking about Christians and how many seem to be indifferent and don't live the way Christ intended. After a long talk, I realized that I was STARVING.... well I was at least really hungry. I told her that earlier I had eaten Chex Mix but that only filled me up for so long, and now I was ready for some yummy subway. I was trying to fill myself with something new because the Chex Mix only satisfied me for so long.

Right after I made my comment, a lightbulb went off in my head. Many people (Christians and non-believers) tend to try to fill their lives with "stuff" that will satisfy them. Many times they are successful, but their success is short lived. They then turn to something new and hope that it will have the same effect only a lasting one. But, it never "fills them up". They are never fully satisfied. I know that many of the "lukewarm" Christians today are like this. They say that they live for Christ, but then you see them trying to fill their lives with something else, and they constantly wonder why they aren't happy in life.

When we fill ourselves with the Living Water, though, we will be satisfied forever. LITERALLY! Once we truly decide to stop filling ourselves with junk that will never amount to any long term happiness and realize that the only way to find true joy in life is to follow Jesus and live the way that Christ has called us to live, we will be satisfied. I have always believe that you can tell if a person is a Christian from the way they present themselves and it is so true. Let me explain: a person who is a Christian has this joy within them that is very apparent. That doesn't mean they are happy-go-lucky all the time. But it is apparent that they have joy.

Oprah Winfrey looks like a successful person in life. She has many television shows and now her own network. But I understand that she isn't truly successful. She is not a follower of Christ. That is why she uses her work to fill up the hole where Christ should be. She believes in satisfying yourself in life. But Christians know good and well that to gain a satisfying life, you must lose your own life, and you must serve Christ by serving others.

I know I have gone off into many tangents in this blog, but it will be okay. I leave yall with this question: What is your life filled with?

1 comment: