Friday, December 31, 2010

2012

So, I guess you can say that I am a movie person. Ever since my parents purchased Direct TV my television has only been on HBO and Starz Networks. But I LOVE it when movies teach us lessons (especially stuff pertaining to the Bible). Today, I was watching the movie 2012, and while I really didn't like the movie, there was a scene (just like Narnia in my last post) that jumped out at me.

In the movie, the plates on the earth are shifting and a lucky few are able to survive. In the mountains of China, a wise man and a young man are sitting together drinking tea (I think it was tea?). The young boy is complaining to the older man that there is no way they can get out of this and how he wishes he had the wisdom to get through it. The old man then stands up and starts pouring the cup with the tea. The cup is soon full and the tea is running off. The young boy looks at the older man and tells him "Stop, the cup is full". The man replies, "It is full. You too are full, of speculations and opinions... In order to obtain wisdom, you must first empty your cup."

Wow! How often to we ask God for wisdom in certain situations but fail to empty our cup... fail to clear our minds of our own opinions and what we think is best? I know that I don't always empty out my cup. No wonder we end up making wrong decisions when we hold onto our speculations. God can't give us wisdom when we don't want to give up what is "wise" in our own minds.

Proverbs helps us further understand obtaining wisdom from God and a few verses that stood out to me (and go right along with emptying our cup are:

"My son, do not let wisdom and understanding out of your sight, preserve sound judgment and discretion" Proverbs 3: 21

"The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding."
Proverbs 4: 7

Each year that passes, it is said that we get wiser. But if we aren't following the word of God, how can we obtain wisdom? We can't! This new year, 2011, I plan on seeking wisdom from God. I plan on strengthening my relationship with Him and truly seeking His plan in everything I do. Pray for me as I do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment